Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Would you believe it's made of wool?

I know I've mentioned this before, but my mom is the most creative person I know- and the ideas and projects she works on never cease to amaze me! For example, a few months ago she learned how to needle felt- and of course she's brilliant at it! While we were on vacation she was able to take dyed wool...And use a few tools...
To create this beautiful doll! Can you believe that's she's just made of wool and 2 pieces of wire?
I had never seen my mom's process, so I was fascinated by the work (maybe I can convince her to share a tutorial sometime)! Early on in the week I caught her making some finishing touches to the head. (And I can't fathom how she can get wool to look that smooth!)
And a while later she had completed the body (I added that censor bar for decency).
And after hours of meticulous work, the doll was complete. Isn't she is gorgeous? I can just imagine her walking around Colonial Williamsburg or something! (Oh- and if the felting isn't impressive enough, she also crocheted the doll's shawl!)
In addition to this Colonial woman, my mom has also made a couple other dolls. I particularly love this Scandinavian one (given our heritage and everything)!
I love her vibrant dress with those incredibly intricate details...
And I especially love the golden braids coiled atop her head!
And on a totally different note, my mom also made a lounge singer doll. (And if I'm not mistaken, this was the first doll she ever felted!)
Isn't she a hoot? I love her eye make-up, the bouffant, and coordinating jewelry.
Oh- and the microphone is absolutely perfect!
I can't tell you how beautiful these dolls are in real life! I'd like to thank my mom for letting me share her beautiful work today- I hope you're having a wonderful day and thank you for stopping by!