Monday, June 7, 2010

"Hot child in the city..."

Quick- can you name this area of NYC?
It's Union Square- were you correct?
I like spending time here! I usually grab seat on the steps along with my fellow New Yorkers...
And watch the world go by!
From this vantage point you can see the water tower on top of Filene's Basement...
And some of the larger buildings in the neighborhood.
Of course, on the day I was there the heat was unbearable- so every square inch of shade was occupied.
That didn't bother me- I was too busy taking pictures of random things- like light poles!
One of my favorite parts of Union Square is this statue of George Washington.
Ready for a little history?
The equestrian statue of George Washington, modeled by Henry Kirke Brown and unveiled in 1856, was first public sculpture erected in New York since the equestrian statue of George III in 1770 and the first American equestrian sculpture cast in bronze. (Courtesy of wikipedia)
Betcha didn't know that, right?
So there you have it- photos of a lovely summer afternoon at Union Square.
Thank you for stopping by- I hope you had a wonderful weekend!