Saturday, June 19, 2010

Father's Day Cookies

I have an awesome Dad! And in preparation for tomorrow I made Father's Day Cookies for him.
I started by baking some butter cookies- the ingredients are incredibly simple!
I combined everything per the recipe...
And placed the dough in the fridge to cool for 15 minutes or so.
Once it had firmed a bit, I rolled it out...
And used a cookie cutter to create these cute little rounds.
And after just 13 minutes in the oven, my cookies were done!
But I couldn't stop there- I wanted these cookies to be especially festive! But since they have to travel quite a ways I knew I couldn't use something fancy like icing or fondant. So I grabbed some paint brushes (another snag from the Dollar Store), food coloring and powdered sugar.
I started by dissolving some sugar in hot water and then added the food coloring until I reached the color I was hoping for.
Then I used the sugar solution like paint and channeled my inner Picasso.
And while I won't be featured at the MoMA anytime soon, these cookies do taste pretty good- buttery and delicious!
If you'd like to whip up these easy treats, here's the recipe:
Father's Day Cookies (Basic Butter Cookies)

Ingredients:
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups flour

Directions:
Beat butter and sugar until smooth. Add the flour and salt in small quantities until combined. Scrape bowl and mix for at least 2 minutes. Refrigerate dough until chilled (appr. 15 minutes). Preheat oven to 350, and roll dough to 1/4 in thickness. Cut cookies and place on parchment lined baking sheet. Bake until edges are golden, approximately 13 minutes.

But that's not all! I saw an idea on the Internet a while ago and had to try it for myself. So here's my first attempt at Hanging Cookies.
I don't have the nifty cookie cutter that makes these automatically, so I just used a knife to cut a notch out of the bottom of a few cookies before I baked them. Kind of fun, right?
I hope you have a great Father's Day!
Thanks for stopping by!