Monday, June 28, 2010

"... It gives a lovely light!"

There are few things more wonderful than a summer campfire. There's something about the cool air, a gentle breeze, the buzz of insects, and a smoky scent that make me supremely happy. So when we were on vacation I got to enjoy a lovely little blaze, courtesy of my brother!
My brother makes great fires! He was an Eagle Scout so he can whip up an inferno in no time flat!
Before long, he had built this perfect bonfire. But the fun didn't stop there, because earlier in the day we had stopped to buy the ingredients for s'mores!
I don't know about you, but I love s'mores! I love how hard it is to be patient while the marshmallow toasts... I love the way the chocolate gets all mooshy once the s'more is completed... and I love the way I get messy and gooey every time I eat this blessed treat! Like most folks, I have a very specific method to create the best s'mores. First, I skewered the marshmallow and toasted it until the end was a bubbly golden-brown.
Then I carefully removed the marshmallow, and reinserted the skewer on the other end before returning it to the fire. (This ensures that my marshmallow is toasted on both sides, and therefore the perfect consistency to make the messiest dessert!) After I was content with the color of the marshmallow, I slid it off the skewer and smashed it between graham crackers and a few pieces of chocolate.
Talk about yummy! I must admit: it was hard to stop eating long enough to take this picture.
And as usual, I got sticky marshmallow gunk everywhere... including my shutter button! But the mess was well worth it, because you can't beat a good s'more!
After we'd had our fill of s'mores and mosquito bites, we decided to call it a night. My brother deconstructed his fiery masterpiece, and we watched as the embers burned into nothing.
Talk about a fun way to spend the evening! I hope you had a great weekend- thanks for stopping by!