The other day, I made a batch of
Rosemary Butter Cookies.

Why you ask? Well, let me show you something:

Yes- that is my rosemary plant. It is completely out of control! (I put a mechanical pencil next to the plant to show you just how big its gotten.) I use as much of it as I can, but one can only eat so many rosemary potatoes, etc. So the other day, when I was looking for recipes that use rosemary, I came across an interesting recipe that I couldn't pass up... here are the ingredients:

I added the ingredients, one by one...

Eventually it was time for the pièce de résistance...

A whole tablespoon of rosemary!

Once the dough was made, the recipe told me to divide it into halves...

And role it into logs in parchment paper!

Then I was supposed to slide the paper-covered dough logs into old paper towel roles...

And put them in my freezer to firm up! (Now, I have to admit- sharing my freezer with you is not my finest moment... but now you know my secret- I keep it stocked with loads of herbs and not much else!)

After an hour in the freezer, I unrolled the logs, brushed them with egg white, and sprinkled sugar on all sides.

When the logs we all done, I sliced them...

And placed them on the baking sheet.

After a brief stint in the oven, here's what I got:

Aren't these the cutest little cookies you've ever seen? I tried playing around with the rosemary on a couple of the cookies- I think it looks kind of nice on top!

Oh, and how much do you love this mini-cake stand?

And while these cookies look great, they taste even better. They're sweet and buttery, and the hint of rosemary is surprising yet subtle!

If you'd like to try these for yourself, here's the recipe:
Rosemary Butter Cookies
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg plus 1 egg white, beaten
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 cup fine sanding sugar
Directions: Put butter and granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Mix in whole egg and vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Add flour, rosemary, and salt, and mix until combined. Halve dough; shape each half into a log. Place each log on a 12-by-16-inch sheet of parchment. Roll in parchment to 1 1/2 inches in diameter, pressing a ruler along edge of parchment at each turn to narrow log. Transfer to paper-towel tubes to hold shape, and freeze until firm, about 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 375. Brush each log with egg white; roll in sanding sugar. Cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds. Space 1 inch apart on baking sheets lined with parchment. Bake until edges are golden, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool on sheets on wire racks. Store in airtight containers at room temperature up to 3 days.
Thanks for stopping by- I hope you have a great day!