Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The best dam tour I've ever had!

Before SFS and I left Las Vegas last week, we visited the Hoover Dam with his college buddies.
Before seeing the modern marvel, we took a tour of the structure. We started by watching a video on how the dam was constructed- talk about amazing!
A few seconds on the elevator (and quite a few stories lower), we found ourselves within the dam.
We got to see the inner workings of the dam...
Including the generator room. We learned that while there are 8 generators in the dam, only 4 are ever in use at one time- and you can tell which 4 are working because the bulbs on top are lit.
I liked this room- it represents such power! Plus, doesn't it look like a space-aged control room from the 50's?
Once we were above ground again, we decided to walk along the top of the dam. Talk about a wonderful view- can you believe this?
The structure is just monstrous: I can't believe it was built in just 5 years- which was two years ahead of schedule.
Not only was it a nice view, but it was a GORGEOUS day... and I got to wear sunglasses- it's been SO long!

This is a shot almost from the middle of the dam- and you can see the new highway which is almost complete... it's over 900 feet above the river! But I think something is missing in this picture...
Awwww- so much better!
On the other side of the dam is the beginning of Lake Mead.
On the South side of the lake is Arizona...
And on the North side of the water...
Is Nevada! This means that I got to stand in two states at the same time- you know I love doing that!
Now, you're probably wondering about that pesky white line above the water. On the tour, we were told that its the usual water line... which shows that Lake Mead is about 50 feet lower than usual! I don't know about you, but I love the way it looks in pictures!!
I was so glad we got to visit the Hoover Dam- if you're ever in the area, I highly recommend checking out this amazing structure!
Thanks for stopping by- I hope you have a great day!