When the weather gets cold and snowy, all I want to eat for dinner is a warm bowl of... something! So when we were slammed with snow on Friday, I decided to try a recipe my parents had recommended a few months ago: Parkey Stew! Here's a shot of the ingredients:
I started by adding olive oil to my dutch oven. (Okay- so I might have made this stew to try out my new dutch oven for the first time... can you blame me? It's so cute- and heavy!)
Then I sliced up some leeks...
Before adding them to the hot oil in the pot!
After that, I sliced up the carrots (into 'coins') and added those to the pot as well.
Then I minced some garlic...
And rough chopped a head of red cabbage (though you can absolutely use green).
After the carrots were tender, I added the crushed tomatoes...
The cabbage...
And the chicken stock.
While it simmered, we cooked up some Italian sausage. We ran into a bit of a snag, as the recipe called for kielbasa- but I couldn't find it ANYWHERE in my neighborhood. So SFS came to the rescue and picked up this tasty Italian sausage. Once it had cooked, we added it into the pot, along with some herbs.
Once all the ingredients were included, I let the stew cook down for a good half an hour- and boy did my apartment smell DELISH! But before I show you the finished product, wanna see the soup bowl I used?
I figured the image inside the bowl was just perfect for a snowy day in NYC! But, back to the task at hand- the Parkey Stew!
Doesn't that look wonderful? And let me tell you- it tastes even better than it looks! It's full of warm, hearty ingredients that leaving you feeling really full after just one bowl! I served it up with a couple slices of Italian bread from a local bakery... talk about a warm meal on a cold day!
If you'd like to make Parkey Stew for your friends or family, here's the recipe:
Parkey StewThanks for stopping by- I hope you have a wonderful Tuesday!
3 T Olive Oil
4 carrots peeled and thinly sliced “coins”
2 leeks, thinly sliced, both ends removed
2 cloves of garlic, minced
16 oz. Chicken broth
1 15 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 small head of cabbage, roughly chopped
1 lb. turkey kielbasa, sliced
1 tsp. Caraway Seed
1 tsp. Marjoram
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
Instructions: In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the carrots and leeks sitting frequently until cooked tender, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes. Add the broth, tomatoes, cabbage, and kielbasa to the pot, along with the caraway and marjoram. Simmer until the stew is hot and the cabbage is tender, 20-30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

