Thursday, March 4, 2010

Sourdough Pancakes

Last weekend, I was inspired to make yet another wonderful recipe from the apron my parents made me for Christmas. (If you're new to the blog, you can read about it here and here... among a zillion other posts.) With all the crummy weather we had last weekend, I wanted to lay low on Saturday morning... so I decided to make my Uncle D's Sourdough Pancakes. I started the recipe on the night before with these basic ingredients. And while these pancakes take a little planning (since you start the sourdough the night before), they are totally worth it! Per my Uncle D's very specific instructions, I dissolved some yeast in water and let it sit in there for 17 minutes. (Please excuse the white stuff on my kitchen timer... it's frosting from the last cake I made... I think...)
In a separate bowl, I measured some flour. I decided to use white flour, but my Uncle D says you can use a mixture of flours, if you'd like!
After the 17 minutes were up, I poured the yeast into the flour...
Which looked just like this:
And after some steady mixing, I had this:
Again, per my Uncle D's instructions, I covered the starter in a warm place and went to bed.
The next morning, I began with THIS cast of characters. (See the sourdough starter in the bowl? That's what it looked like the next morning!)
And I proceeded to add some additional ingredients to the sourdough starter I had concocted the night before.
I also mixed some baking soda and water in a small bowl...
Before adding it to the pancake batter.
Once everything was combined, I put my beautiful, new Calphalon pan on the stove to heat up... since I don't have a griddle.
And then I started to make pancakes.
When they started bubbling on one side, I flipped them... waited a bit... and slid this baby right off the pan.
Come on- doesn't that look like the best weekend breakfast you can imagine?
And it only got better... because there's enough batter to make TONS of these tasty pancakes! The only thing you'll have to worry about is having enough syrup to cover 'em!
If you'd like to make these for yourself (or anyone else who eats breakfast at your house), here's the recipe:
Sourdough Pancakes
Night before: Dissolve 1/2 tsp. yeast in 1/2 cup water- wait 17 minutes, add 2 cups flour (1 cup white and 1 cup other, if you'd like) and 1 1/4 water , mix to a thin paste, and cover in a warm spot.
In the morning add: 1 large egg, 2 tbsp oil, 1 tbsp sugar, and 1 tsp salt- beat well.
Combine: 1 tbsp. water and 1 tsp. baking soda- add to batter.
Bake on hot griddle.
Thanks, Uncle D, for sharing this amazing recipe... I can't wait to make these again!
Thanks for stopping by- I hope you have a wonderful Thursday!