Tuesday, January 5, 2010

An adorable apron

Among all the really wonderful gifts I was given over the holidays, one of my favorites was a really special apron. My mom and dad enlisted our extended family in creating a special keepsake for my brother and I. Here's a shot of us modeling our aprons Christmas morning. If you can't tell, our aprons are covered in recipes. More specifically, they're some of our favorite family recipes, written by the people who brought them into our lives.

I was so touched when I saw it- not only do these recipes create delicious food, but eating those foods remind me of fun times with my family.

And as if that wasn't enough, what really set me off were the handwritten recipes. I haven't seen some of that penmanship in years, since some family members are no longer with us. As you can imagine, by the time I'd read through the whole apron I was a crying, sniveling mess. Isn't that the most amazing gift? So I thought over the next few weeks and I plan on sharing some of these yummy "apron recipes"... what do you think?

I'd like to begin with my Grandma M.'s Dill Dip.
It's a pretty straightforward recipe, and I bet you have most of these ingredients in your cabinet/fridge.
And, it only dirties a couple dishes (which is a real plus in my dishwasher-less apartment)!
First, just add the ingredients into a bowl.
(I used fresh chives above because I needed to prune my little chive plant, but the recipe actually calls for the dried stuff.)
After a couple seconds of stirring, you're left with a bowl full delectable dip. To allow the flavors to meld a bit, I would suggest leaving it in the fridge for a couple hours... if you can abstain from eating it that long!
Now, most people would probably pair this dip with a tray of fresh veggies.
Which is obviously an excellent choice.
Right?
And while veggies are good, I much prefer the partnering of dill dip with pretzels!
I know what you're thinking... but don't knock it until you try it... really!
So there you have it- my Grandma M.'s Dill Dip recipe. Thanks for the recipe, Grams... and thanks for always have a bowl of dip and pretzels on the table every time I come to your house!
There you have it- the first recipe from my apron. And thanks again to my awesome parents for a wonderful, touching gift! I hope you have a great Tuesday- thanks for stopping by!

Dill Dip
2 cups sour cream
2 cups mayo
4 Tbsp. dried parsley
4 Tbsp. dried chives
4 tsp. dill weed
2 tsp. seasoned salt
2 tsp. worcestershire sauce
and some tabasco sauce (if you can handle it)
Mix together and enjoy with veggies- or pretzels!