Thursday, January 14, 2010

Wacky Cake

It's Thursday.
It's cold in NYC.
So how about another recipe from the apron?
In case you haven't seen this before, my parents made my brother and I the best gift for Christmas. They collected some of our favorite recipes from various family members, and ironed them onto aprons for us.
Isn't that awesome? Over the past couple weeks I've been making recipes from the apron. So today, how about Aunt J's Wacky Cake?
I love this cake. In fact, I think I've asked my mom to make one for my birthday as long as I can remember. It's chocolate-y and moist... and I just love it!

Now, you're probably wondering why it's called Wacky Cake... well, check out the ingredients:
Not your typical cake-making supplies, right? But believe me, they mix together to create one scrumptious cake! So let's get baking! First, I followed the recipe. (Please note that I even used a sieve... I hardly ever do that any more, so you must know that this recipe it worth it!)
When the batter was lump free, I poured it into a batter bowl. I decided to make cupcakes instead of a cake. (SFS' roommate's birthday is this week, and he asked that I make him cupcakes to celebrate- how could I turn that down?)
This is the first batter bowl I've owned, so I never knew how easy it was to fill cupcakes with it... but now I'm a total convert- even if it means I have to wash one more bowl!
After a short time in the oven, I pulled these babies out.
Then I just swirled on some canned frosting- I like cream cheese frosting with this cake!
And because SFS's roommate loves the Eagles, I added some green sanding sugar.
Now, I know you can't taste this cake, but let me tell you- it is SO good. Here's what a bite would look like:
Trust me- it's divine!
So thank you, Aunt J, for one of the best cakes EVER!
Wacky Cake
2 C sugar
3 C flour
½ C cocoa
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking soda
Sift together, then add:
2 T vinegar
2 tsp. vanilla
2/3 C vegetable oil
2 C cold water
Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes for a 9x13 cake.
Thanks for stopping by- I hope you have a wonderful Thursday!!