Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Meet me at the Met

This weekend, SFS and I met to spend an afternoon at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Have you ever been there?
It's an incredible fortress of art on the Upper East Side in Manhattan. While it houses some of the most beautiful works in the world, it's pretty amazing in it's own right.
With the columns and busts, it could easily easily be at home in some Italian City!
It's definitely a NYC landmark... especially to teenagers who watch that TV show Gossip Girl!
And inside, the museum is just as pretty!
With all the domes and fresh floral arrangements, I could hang out in the lobby all day...
But SFS and I made our way up the grand staircase and started checking out what the museum had to offer.
First we headed to the American wing.
There were so many pictures to enjoy.
And consequently, I took a ton of pictures.
This one is supposed to be an allegory of the planets in their God form... or something like that...
I really liked this one... (please excuse the nip-slip)...
Check out the detail on the music- apparently it was a popular song when the piece was painted.
Isn't this one amazing?
What do you think of those bows? Apparently "butterfly bows" were all the rage!
In the Met, there are rooms of upon rooms of amazing portraits and paintings.
I loved this one by Sir Joshua Reynolds.
He had 21 sittings with the Colonel- and two more with the horse alone to complete this huge work in 1782.
And poor SFS- he practically had to drag me away from the Rembrandts.
Later in the day, he made an excellent point...
Sometimes the frames were just as beautiful as the paintings inside!
Now this is one of the best things we saw all day. It's called "Clothing the Naked", and was painted around 1661. It's supposed to represent one of the Acts of Mercy... but I think the look on the face of the clothed person is just priceless!! I prefer to imagine that the picture represents two roommates- one is the responsible one with a job, while the other is the slacker who's always getting into trouble. So in this painting, the crazy roommate messed, again, and the dependable roommate is bailing him out... AGAIN! Doesn't the look on his face just scream annoyed?
We could have looked at the paintings for hours. (Check out the peacock painting on the right- it's the one featured in an episode of Project Runway!)
And while this one is pretty morbid, I still liked it- it's called Falconer's Bag.
And how about this kooky one? It's called The Four Seasons, and was painted by Giuseppe Arcimboldo in the 16th century!
Isn't this place the greatest?
And not to be a total nerd, but dontcha love the way they coordinate the wall color to the artwork?
It's perfect!
As you can probably imagine, I have a "few" more pictures to share... but I'll save those until tomorrow! I hope you're having a great Tuesday- thanks for stopping by!