Poppy Seed CakeThanks for stopping by- I hope you have a wonderful weekend!
Cream together:
2 sticks oleo or butter
1/4 C sugar
Add:
4 eggs
1 C sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 C poppy seeds
1 box Duncan Hines Golden Recipe Cake Mix
Spray Bundt pan and dust with flour or use Baker's Joy. Pour into Bundt pan
and bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes. Let cool in pan 10-15 minutes
before turning out onto plate.
Friday, November 20, 2009
Pretty little poppy seeds...
When SFS moved into his new place over the summer, I took it upon myself to bake treats for he and his roommates. I had a blast making all sorts of yummy desserts (many of which I wrote about on this blog). But the other day, SFS' roommate reminded me that I hadn't baked him something in a while- can you believe I was totally shirking my duties?! So, inspired by my cousin's blog entry, I made him some Mini-Poppy Seed Cakes the other day. They're so yummy, and so incredibly easy to make- here's what I started with:
And see what's right in front? That's right: Penzeys vanilla. I swear, I use something from that company in every dish that I make!
First, I measured some sugar into the mixer.
And then creamed it with a little butter. (Two sticks- that still counts as "a little", right? Paula Deen would totally agree with me!)
Then I added a few eggs. Now here's a question- when you bake, where do you keep your eggs so they don't roll off the counter? I always keep them in the indentation at the bottom of my mixer. It's like they're in a special little nest where they have no chance of rolling out. If you ever try this, please remember you can't lower the bowl until the eggs are gone... just a friendly reminder! :)
After the eggs came a bit o' sour cream...
And that wonderful vanilla I was talking about earlier!
And finally, the poppy seeds.
After the batter was prepared, I started spraying my mini-cake pans. In my family, Baker's Joy is a pantry staple. With all the wonderful Nordicware pans we like to use, it's the perfect spray for all the nooks and crannies! Also, how cute is that leaf pan? SFS' sister gave it to me for Christmas last year, and I just love it!)
After some time in the oven (it varies depending on how large the cakes are), I had these cuties all finished. I obviously have an issue figuring out how much batter is needed- but a few seconds with a serrated knife neatened those edges right up!
See? How cute is this?
Especially when displayed on my new Ford plate. SFS and I found this at one of my favorite stores last month. Since the only cars that I ever drove were Fords, I have a soft spot in my heart for the brand.
But no matter how good these little cakes look, nothing beats biting into them!
Talk about a moist, buttery, delish treat!
In case you want to make these someday, here's the recipe:

