Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Lunch in Little Italy

Let's pick up where we left off yesterday, shall we? Here we are on Arthur Avenue in the Bronx... or Little Italy of the Bronx! After lots of shopping and exploring, SFS and I had worked up quite the appetite. We were checking out all the restaurant options, as as we walked by Dominick's, a man that was just leaving asked if we were looking for a place to eat. When we admitted we were, he told us that he'd just finished an amazing meal, and he highly recommended eating there... so, we headed inside.
Let me tell you- the place was PACKED! The restaurant was filled with family-style tables, where you shared the Parmesan shaker with the person sitting next to you. Even though we arrived at 3 pm, there was a wait, so we were directed to the upstairs bar area until a spot opened up for us. So, we each enjoyed a glass of the house red.
And before we knew it, it was our turn to take a seat. When we were seated, the waiter approached us asking what we'd like for a starter. SFS explained that we hadn't seen a menu yet, and it turns out that THEY DIDN'T HAVE ANY MENUS! That's right- they work off of a verbal menu! You just tell them what sounds good to you, and they'll see what they can make! We decided to start with a stuffed artichoke, and I had pasta with a marinara-type sauce while SFS tried a baked ziti dish. It was incredible- we could have ordered ANYTHING, and they would have tried to make it... how fun is that?

Our meal was delicious- and would you believe I didn't take a single picture of our dinner? I know... I must have been ill! :)

But I got the camera out when we got back outside. We stopped in an Italian market, and I blown away by these peppers: Instead of picking the peppers, they just pull the whole plant out of the ground, before hanging it upside down to dry!
Isn't that crazy?
The bins of nuts made me think of the holidays... we always have a basket of nuts at my parent's house during Christmas!
Before we left, we made sure to say a quick "hello" to Al Capone!
And last, but certainly no least, I want to show you one of the best stores in Little Italy: Calabria Pork Store!
When you walk inside, it's the most amazing sight- pork hangs from the entire ceiling!
Since the pork sausage is made in back, it's hung from the ceiling while it cures.
And although the store sold other treats, like these wheels of Parmesan...
It was the sausage that held my attention!
I mean, how could it NOT!
As you can tell, SFS and I had a wonderful time in the Bronx! Thank you for checking out my photos- I hope you're having a great day!