Monday, November 9, 2009

Going through the garden

The weather in NYC was beautiful this weekend! SFS and I took advantage of the unseasonal temperature and sun, and took a stroll through Central Park. On our walk, we checked out the Conservatory Garden. To enter the garden, you must walk through this impressive gate at 105th Street:
It's called the Vanderbilt Gate; it was originally the gate to the Vanderbilt Mansion in midtown, but has been the entrance to the garden since 1939. Once through the gate, the beauty of the garden is immediately apparent.
I was so excited to be in the garden, that I accosted the shrubs.
I know- what a weird thing to do. I'm not sure what came over me- but the foliage was pretty amazing!
On the west side of garden was this lovely fountain:
SFS decided to show me his dance moves on the manicured lawn...
Which made it even funnier when we noticed this subtle sign a moment later! Oops!
These pergola were really nice- apparently they're covered with wisteria in the summer... I can't wait to go back and see that!
But I think the lack of flowers/leaves make some aspects of the garden more interesting. You wouldn't be able to see this cool network of branches if they were covered with leaves, right?
With the sun streaming through the branches, it was a magnificent afternoon to traipse through the garden!
In the English part of the garden, SFS and I found the Burnett Fountain, which depicts the two children from The Secret Garden. Don't you just love those lily pads?
I tried taking a "senior picture" of SFS... don't you think it looks like it? Can you imagine his name in script in the bottom/right corner of the photo, along with his graduating year?
I was clearly enjoying my afternoon!
But in a beautiful place like this...
With a handsome guy like this...
Wouldn't you?
I hope you had a wonderful weekend. Don't forget to participate in my very first giveaway- thanks for stopping by!