Monday, November 16, 2009

An afternoon on Arthur Avenue

On Saturday, SFS and decided to embark on an adventure... to the BRONX! After a subway ride and two different buses (the Q60 and Bx12), we made it to Arthur Avenue! It's the Little Italy of the Bronx! I had never been there before, but it only took a few minutes to fall in love. Unlike the Little Italy in Manhattan, this area was full of specialty food stores, restaurants, bakeries, butchers, and all sorts of other unique shops!

One of the first shops we stopped in was Tino's Delicatessen.
Along with a seating area for fresh pasta, there was a whole grocery section inside the deli... and most of the items were imported from Italy. Check out all the different kinds of pasta:
A few shelves away were the olive oils and balsamic vinegar... yum!
In the middle of the store was the deli counter, complete with hanging cheeses and meats!
As we meandered on down the road, we stopped in all sorts of stores.
Including this fresh fish market.
Admittedly, I let SFS go in alone... just looking at the live crabs outside made me a little queasy.
And seeing these dried fish a few stores further down didn't help much!
Another fun stop for SFS was this traditional butcher. I didn't take a picture of what was hanging in the window, but you can catch a glimpse of it along the bottom of this picture.
While SFS checked out the meat, I checked out the bakery next door. There were tons of bakeries like this along the block.
And every one of them had cases of the most scrumptious looking sweets!
Thanks for coming with us on our visit to Arthur Avenue. I have more pictures from our walk, which I'll post tomorrow. Thanks for stopping by- I hope you had a wonderful weekend!