Thank you for stopping by- I hope you have a wonderful Thursday!
Thursday, November 19, 2009
C.O. Bigelow Drugs
The other day when SFS and I were wandering around the West Village, we came across C.O. Bigelow Drugs.
Believe it or not, but this apothecary has been doing business for the last 168 years! And even if you've never been to the pharmacy, I bet you've seen their products in a store. For example, Bath and Body Works carries lots of Bigelow products- like lip gloss! So I was pretty excited to see the original location- it was amazing!
Talk about past colliding with the present. I loved the balcony-esque office in the back of the store, as well as the chandeliers and unique ceiling decoration... you can't find THAT in a Walgreens!
All over the store were pieces of the past- from walnut display cases to the floors that had large "B's" designed in the tile mosaic. But the excitement didn't stop with the decor- the pharmacy sold all sorts of products, and displayed them in very traditional ways. Take this comb rack, for example.
Or this spinner full of lip glosses and hand creams.
The entire place was filled with interesting products, and I reveled in the pieces of history all around. What a great store!
And although I didn't realize it until I got home, the customers I caught in the lower-right corner of this picture kind of encompass the pharmacy- a fascinating combination of old and new.
Thank you for stopping by- I hope you have a wonderful Thursday!
Thank you for stopping by- I hope you have a wonderful Thursday!

