Monday, April 19, 2010

The park sure is pretty!

This weekend, I had a chance to stroll through Central Park for a while. When I first entered the park (at 90th and 5th Avenue), I came upon this memorial. According to the Central Park website: This granite and bronze piece honors John Purroy Mitchel (1879–1918), who, as mayor of New York from 1914 to 1917, was known for his uncompromising idealism and scrupulous honesty. Dedicated in 1928, the work consists of a stele, bust, and ornamental wall and is located on the eastern embankment of Central Park’s Reservoir at 90th Street. While the monument is pretty impressive, I was taken away with the beautiful, red tulips!
Since I was so close, I made my way up the stairs...
To check out the Reservoir!
Here's some more info from the website: The Central Park Reservoir - now off­icially named the Jaqueline Kennedy Onassis Reservoir -is located between 86th and 96th and covers a full one eight of the park’s surface.
The 106-acre water body is 40 feet deep and holds over a billion gallons of water.
Once a critical part of the city’s fresh water system it was disconnected as an active component since the new water tunnel was opened in 1991. It is probably best known now as home to the 1.58 mile running track that surrounds it.
After checking out the Reservoir, I took a nice walk through the park.
It was such a beautiful day...
And I swear- everything was blooming!
For example, check out those pink blossoms...
Up close, they're pretty...
And en masse, they're even more spectacular!
Isn't the park beautiful this time of year?
Everything is so lush and green...
And purple...
And yellow...
And pink!
I hope you had a wonderful weekend- thanks for stopping by!!