Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Blueberry Bars...

When I was visiting the green-grocer the other day, I picked up some blueberries. I couldn't help it- they just looked so plump and yummy! Of course, I didn't have anything in mind for them when I bought them... so when I got home I concocted a new recipe for Blueberry Bars!
Here are the ingredients:
Once I'd put the dry ingredients, vanilla and cream in a mixing bowl, I got to work with my pastry knife.
After a few minutes, I had the perfect consistency- I wanted it to clump when I squeezed it with my hand, but still be crumbly. (I hope that makes sense...)
I reserved a cup of the mixture, and dumped the rest into the bottom of an 8x8 baking pan. I used my hands and the bottom of a measuring cup to press the crust into place.
Once I was finished, I set it aside and worked on the blueberries.
After mixing them with sugar, I spooned them onto the crust...
And sprinkled the remaining mixture on top.
Easy, right? After half an hour in the oven, here's what I had:
Talk about yummy! Once the bars were cool, I sliced into 'em.
Now, I don't particularly like blueberries... but these bars are AMAZING!
If you want to try them for yourself, here's the recipe:

Blueberry Bars

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
1/3 and 1/4 cups sugar (or 7/12 if that makes you feel better...)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp cream
1/2 cup butter
1 pint blueberries (appr. 2 cups)
Directions:
Mix flour, 1/3 cup sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and milk in a mixing bowl. Cut in butter, until mixture retains shape after being squeezed. Reserving 1 cup of mixture, pour the rest into 8x8 baking pan and press to form bottom crust. Add remaining sugar to blueberries, and spoon over crust. Sprinkle remaining crust mixture on top, and bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes. Remove from oven when crust browns (you can also increase the temperature towards the end for maximum color), and cool before serving.
Now, I must admit... these bars are very crumbly (in the most delicious way). Since I was making these bars for my students, I wanted to ensure that they could easily have a snack without making a huge mess. So, I cut up some wax-lined sandwich bags, and placed the bars inside. Now the students can just grab a bag and enjoy a bar!
If you have the time to spare, I highly recommend whipping up these yummy bars! I promise you won't regret it!
Thanks for stopping by- I hope you have a wonderful day!