Friday, September 11, 2009
Simply statuesque
Guess what happens when I carry my camera in my purse?
I take all sorts of random pictures of things in NYC. Like the brick wall that surrounds Central Park... or the cool light posts along Columbus Avenue.
A storm was on it's way in, and the sky was a weird shade of gray- but my camera blew it out into a white color, which I kind of like!
As I passed through Columbus Circle, I stopped to take some photos of Merchants' Gate. This monument to the Maine (which was sunk in 1898) was constructed in 1913.
Can you believe this structure is 44 feet tall?
On top of the tower is a gilded bronze sculpture of Columbia Triumphant, with a seashell chariot pulled by three seahorses. Apparently Columbia signifies the United States' dominance of the seas.
At the tower's base are figures that represent the following: Victory, Peace, Courage, Fortitude, and Justice.
I'm not sure I would've gotten all that without a little Internet research...
Because, when I look at it...
All I see are beautiful statues!
I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

