The air is crisper, the wind is cooler, and the leaves are getting crunchier... which means Fall is on the way! I'm not sure about you, but I love this time of year. I love the weather, I love the clothing, and I love the food! To inaugurate the new season, I decided to make Apple Muffins. Here were the ingredients I needed:

Another reason I like fall is because of football. Big Ten football, to be more specific. While I made these muffins, I listened to the U of M game on the Internet (it wasn't televised on the East coast). I was having lots of fun, and was really getting into the game... obviously!

But back to the muffins. First, I had to prepare the apples.

When I was a kid, I was so impressed when my mom peeled an apple in one piece. I've been working on it...

And I'm getting pretty close! Are you impressed or what?

Once the apple was peeled, I chopped it up. (I ended up using an apple and a half... but I like to put lots of apples in the batter, which is usually more than the recipe called for!)

One by one, I added each of the ingredients to the mixing bowl.

Let me tell you, the smell of apple and cinnamon was divine!

I tried my new, unbleached muffin liners for these. Since the batter doesn't raise, I filled the cups about three quarters of the way full. Then, I got to sprinkling.

With a healthy dusting of cinnamon and sugar, these babies were ready for the oven!

And 20 minutes later, this is what I got.

Boy, did my kitchen smell good!

Though these muffins make for a delightful breakfast, they're good anytime of the day...

I'm pretty sure the Wolverines agree with me!

Apple Muffins
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
1 and 1/2 cups diced apple
Cinnamon sugar topping:
1 tsp. cinnamon
3 tsp. sugar
Cream sugar and shortening, then mix in eggs and the rest of the ingredients. Sprinkle tops of muffin before baking at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.