Friday, September 18, 2009

Pictures from the platform

It's true- I really do take my camera with me everywhere. I've been using it for a couple of projects at work, so I've been carting it back and forth to the office. On my way home last night, I decided to take a couple of pictures from the train platform. Where I live in Queens, the subway runs above ground. I live at the last stop on this particular line, so the trains usually arrive, wait a few minutes, and head back to the city. And when the train train on the East side of the tracks leaves the station, you get a great view of Astoria.
Funnily enough, the subway platform ends right under a high speed rail track. Would you believe the scaffolding has been up since I moved to the city in 2006?
There is also a track on the West side of the platform. I thought I'd try to take a shot of the Manhattan skyline through the cars... it didn't work so well!
But in a few minutes, the train started to pull away from the station. (Maybe I should be concerned that the duct taped pole might not be as structurally sound as it could be... what do you think?)
And now that the train is gone, you can see more of Astoria. You can even see the Tribourough Bridge in the background.
Ooops- I mean the Robert F. Kennedy Bridge.
I suppose it doesn't really matter what you call it- it will always look nice silhouetted against the sunset! Thanks for stopping by- I hope you have a great weekend!