Monday, September 14, 2009

Where I wear my Sunday best

This is St. James Episcopal Church.

Maybe you recognize it from a movie you've seen? (Like Confessions of a Shopaholic?) Or a television show? (Like Gossip Girl?)

I've actually never seen this church on screen. But I get to see it in person every Sunday... because I sing at this church!

Here's the door where I enter...

The Parish House is home to several staff offices, the Christian Education rooms, as well as the music rehearsal room.

I think the sanctuary is just beautiful!

Are you wondering how I got such a great shot? Well, I took the photo from the organ gallery. My church is celebrating their 150th anniversary this year, and they installed a new organ system as part of the celebration. The gallery organ was installed last summer, and I think it's just magnificent!

Don't you love all those pipes? The organ console in the gallery is modest:

The stops flank both sides of the keyboard. As you can see, these stops modify the sound of the pedals.

When I was in college, I was friends with a couple organ majors. I loved watching them play- it's such an intricate instrument!

The console has two keyboards.

And this nifty set of pedals... doesn't it look like so much fun to play?

Believe it or not, the church is installing a NEW organ in the front of the sanctuary. It's HUGE in comparison to this one- and they've almost finished 'voicing' it. (Voicing is when the organ technician plays each note in each stop, making minute adjustments, to ensure that the instrument sounds perfect). We heard a little bit of it this morning- and it was majestic! I'll try to take pictures of that one someday... but for now, the gallery organ will have to do.

It's not too shabby, if I do say so myself!