Monday, August 23, 2010
Simple Stuffed Apples
Fall is just around the corner, and you know what that means: APPLE PICKING TIME! I love fresh, autumn apples- especially if I'm the one plucking them out of the orchard! I don't often get the chance to do that these days, but I still enjoy eating apples and baking them into yummy desserts and muffins! So the other day, when I was browsing the ideas over at oneprettything.com, I came across a recipe for stuffed apples. I thought it looked like a pretty good idea- so I put my own spin on it, want to see?
I decided to use a few simple ingredients:
Along with a single apple. This one is a Braeburn (not my first choice, but the selection at my bodega was slightly limited).
My first step was to core the apple.
I started with a knife...
And then used a grapefruit spoon to scoop out the innards, making sure to leave the bottom of the apple intact!
Like so:
Then I added a dash of cinnamon, shaking the apple to make sure it had coated in the interior...
Before adding a sliver of butter to the bottom of the hole.
Then a stuffed the core with granola...
Before adding another sliver of butter on top.
Since I love granola, I packed a bit more onto the top of the apple and added it to a baking dish with just under two inches of water in the bottom.
I placed the dish in a 350 degree oven and set a timer for 30 minutes.
About half an hour later my kitchen smelled like an apple pie and I pulled this little treat from the oven.
I sprinkled a tiny bit of vanilla sugar on top...
And voilĂ - my little masterpiece was finished!
I couldn't wait to dig in... and you know what?
It was pretty darn delicious! The apple is pretty soft, so it tastes a bit like warm applesauce with chewy granola.
I'm going to call them Simple Stuffed Apples. I'll definitely be adding this little number to my recipe box- and I can't wait to try it again when Golden Delicious are in season!
Thank you for stopping by- I hope you had a wonderful weekend!

