Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Little Sable Point Lighthouse

Even though I'm back in NYC, I just remembered that I forgot to share the pictures I took while I was a volunteer lighthouse keeper a few weeks ago!
I had the incredible opportunity to work at Little Sable Point for a week- and the night before our tour of duty began my fellow keepers and I went down to the beach to enjoy the sunset.
Unfortunately it was a bit cloudy, and while we missed the sunset I still took a few photos!
Want to hear more about Little Sable Lighthouse?
Built in 1874, LSP Lighthouse is the oldest (and tallest) remaining brick lighthouse on the Great Lakes. Standing 115 feet above the water, there are 139 steps to reach the top of the tower.
Oddly enough, the tower was painted white in 1900- mariners and sailors complained that they could not make out the lighthouse from the sand dunes during the day. The lighthouse was automated in 1954, and the following spring the outer buildings were demolished leaving just the tower.
In 1974 the Coast Guard decided maintaining the coat of white paint on the tower was too costly to maintain, so they sandblasted the lighthouse back to it's original brick color. The lighthouse was re-opened to visitors in 2006!
The lantern room houses the structure's original Third order Fresnel lens, which could magnify the light from a single kerosene lantern 19 miles into Lake Michigan- this lighthouse was created using the epitome of Civil War era technology.
I can't wait to share more photos from my time at the lighthouse- thank you for visiting!