Friday, August 20, 2010

"Dinner rush"

The term "dinner rush" means something very different to me today than it did back when I was a waitress. I spent a couple of summers between college as a server, and though the "dinner rush" was the most stressful time of the evening, I also knew that it would result in the bulk of my nightly tips.

But now that I'm a twenty-something living in NYC, "dinner rush" is my attempt to hurry home in order to make dinner. Take, for example, the other night: last spring I promised a good friend I would make him dinner. After months of uncoordinated schedules, we found an evening that worked for us both. As the end of my work day neared, my "dinner rush" set in... let me show you!

First, I packed up all my things, locked the office door, walked 30 feet down the hall, realized I forgot something and had to go back.
After retracing my steps, I finally made it to the elevator...
And raced down the staircase into the muggy Manhattan night!
After a brisk stroll along Central Park, I entered the subway.
As I waited for my train, I mentally congratulated myself for switching into comfy shoes before leaving my office.
Eventually the train showed up and I was on my home.
But when I got there, I still had to finish dinner! I had prepared pretty much everything in advance, like this potato salad- want to see how?
I started with the normal ingredients...
Boiled potatoes...
Hard-boiled eggs...
Celery...
Vidalia onion...
And condiments.
After adding them all into a mixing bowl...
It was time for the dill!
And after a bit of mixing (along with a dash of salt and pepper), I had a nice big batch of salad ready to serve!
If you'd like to whip this up at home, here's how I did it:
Potato Salad

Ingredients:
Potatoes
Eggs
Celery
Vidalia onion
Dill weed
Mayonaise
Miracle Whip
Yellow mustard
Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions:
Boil the potatoes (in their skins) until soft. Place in 'fridge to cool, and boil eggs. When potatoes are cool, peel and dice. Dice eggs, celery, and onion. Mix together with dressings and mustard. Add dill weed, salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate upon completion.

*This is one of the first times I haven't used a recipe, which was a bit of a stretch for me! But my mom makes the best potato salad, and she encouraged me to just add ingredients until I reached the flavor I had hoped for... and it totally turned out!
Upon returning home, I had just a few things to pull together before I considered my "dinner rush" a success! (And please excuse my melting cake- that frosting didn't stand a chance in the ninety degree NY heat!)
Thank you for stopping by- I hope you have a fun weekend!