So when I returned to New York last week, I was beyond relieved to see that none of those terrible things had occurred! I was so overjoyed that after unpacking (a bit) and settling in, I cozied up on the couch to make a phone call... and that's when I noticed it:
Thursday, August 5, 2010
No more mud in the house, please!
As you know, I was thrilled to spend the majority of my summer vacationing. After an absence of 6 long and wonderful weeks, I recently returned to NYC. While I was gone, my cozy little apartment was vacant. Over the past month or so I had fleeting worries about what was happening back at my pad: what if I forgot to take out the recyclables before I left and things were molding and gross? Or what if rats and cockroaches infested my house the minute I walked out the door?
So when I returned to New York last week, I was beyond relieved to see that none of those terrible things had occurred! I was so overjoyed that after unpacking (a bit) and settling in, I cozied up on the couch to make a phone call... and that's when I noticed it:
Yes- that THING in the corner! Upon first glance I was sure a bat had nested in the crook of my arch which sent me into a panic! But after a moment I came to my senses and calmed down enough to get a closer look:
After frantically calling my dad on the phone, my concerns were confirmed: a family of wasps had made their mud nest in my apartment (and had not been to tidy about it)!
Can you believe it? I wasn't exactly pleased to have to deal with such an odd infestation, but my dad talked me through the removal process and I got to work. First: a trip to my local hardware store for a can of this stuff:
So after giving $7.98 (plus tax) to the lovely man behind the counter, I returned home...
And tried to figure out how an "outdoor only" product could be used in the confines of my tiny NYC apartment!
So I ripped up a perfectly good IGA bag to protect my original wood floor...
And turned down the AC (because apparently bugs don't like cold weather)..
And I soaked that little mud nest with as much chemicals and poison as I could!
The job got a bit messy, which is to be expected when the nozzle "shoots up to 20 feet" and I did the job from 24 inches... but oh well!
The mud was getting pretty gross, so I ended up taping a Ziplock bag over the whole shebang while I scraped the mess off my poor moulding.
After lots of cleaning products (and a little bleach) I finally cleaned up the last bit of mud, just in time to hit the sack!
And while a mud wasp's nest wasn't something I ever wanted to find in my house, it could have been so much worse! Thank you for stopping by- I hope you have a great rest of the day!
So when I returned to New York last week, I was beyond relieved to see that none of those terrible things had occurred! I was so overjoyed that after unpacking (a bit) and settling in, I cozied up on the couch to make a phone call... and that's when I noticed it:

