Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Met after dark

Friday after work, I joined SFS and his friends at The Metropolitan Museum of Art. They stays open extra late on certain nights, so we spent a few hours touring the exhibits way after dusk. The Temple of Dendur was especially magical in the dark.
In the dark, everything looked different. Even though I've taken countless pictures in this same room, I started seeing things differently than I had before.
A few galleries over, we found ourselves gazing at these lovely marble creations.
This was the first time I'd walked around the museum after dark, and I was able to appreciate the lighting design in a totally new way!
And while I know I've mentioned this before, I LOVE the curly hair on these busts...
Like, really... I can't take enough pictures of this stuff!
A few rooms later, we found ourselves in the Oceania exhibit.
Most of the time I don't really understand what I'm looking at, but I still really enjoy it!
Like these carvings- can you believe they're carved out of a single piece of wood? The artists cut down a tree, and invert it before carving... so the pieces you see sticking out at the top are actually large roots. (Also, these carvings often represent power and fertility, which should explain some of the subject matter...)
Here's another shot at the ceiling instillation- how cool, right?
And in another wing completely, we found ourselves in one of my favorite areas: modern art. Check out that Andy Warhol in the background- not too shabby!
But this is what I really come to see.
You're probably a little confused...
But bear with me...
Because this good lookin' guy...
Is a painting.
I know- every time I see it, I just stare at the incredible detail... it never ceases to amaze me!

And right across the way is this crazy fella.
And despite what you may think, the closer you get...
The better it gets...
Isn't this fun?
Doesn't this remind you of Ferris Bueller's Day Off?
I know... me too!
But how about something new? I hadn't seen this one before.
And while it's a lovely picture...
Once you read about the materials, it makes you appreciate it even more!
And a few rooms further, we checked out a few old favorites.
And SFS even posed for one!
There is just so much to look at in the museum.
Right?
We had such a good time... do you mind if I share ONE more thing with you?
ARMOR!
Have you ever seen the movie Bedknobs and Broomsticks?
It's all I can think about when I'm in this part of the museum!
Especially late at night when no one was around!
If you want to check out this exhibit for yourself (or any part of the museum for that matter), you can find it on 82nd Street and 5th Avenue on the Upper East Side. Thanks for stopping by my blog- I hope you have a great day!