Since SFS is Italian, he's been showing me all sorts of new things- from new pastas and sauces to specialty Italian goods. One of the things he introduced me to were Amaretti di Saronno. Have you ever tried one of these? They're crunchy, almond-y cookies, covered in sugar sprinkles. And not only are the cookies yummy, but they come wrapped in these little papers. And SFS showed me the coolest little trick. First, you flatten the paper. Then you role it into a tube and place it onto a plate. Then, you light it on fire. And as the fire burns down... Something magical happens... (I'm sure there's a scientific explanation, but I don't know what it is...) Because as the paper is about to burn up completely, it floats into the air! Unfortunately, I didn't catch a picture of it actually flying, so check out this short video to see the magic IN ACTION! (UPDATE: I can't take video on my camera, so I snagged this video from youtube.com!)
Pretty cool, right? I think you can pick up these cookies in any specialty Italian store- we happened to get these at Buon Italia in Chelsea Market.
I hope you're having a wonderful Wendesday- thanks for stopping by!
I'm a classical musician living in NYC... my blog is full of pictures, recipes, vacations and all sorts of commentary about my little life in The Big Apple. Thanks for stopping by!