Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Wednesday Wreathes

When we visited Colonial Williamsburg last weekend, they had already starting decorating for the holiday season.
And boy did we have a good time checking out the wreaths! Almost every building in Colonial Williamsburg had a unique, handmade wreath- and we took pictures of quite a few.
While some wreaths were made of natural elements, others spoke to the trade or wares that were available behind the door. For example, check out the wreath at the weaver's shop:
Some of the decorations were simple...
While others were a little more ornate!
Don't you love the color scheme on this one?
The dried slices of persimmon were so different!
What do you think about this one?
I just love those mini-pineapples!
This one incorporated quite a lot of items...
See the dried artichokes?
Or what about the lotus seed pods?
Not all the wreaths were circular in shape.
And some incorporated just a few items!
This one had fresh pomegranates and bittersweet berries... the simple color scheme looked so festive against the white double doors!
This wreath hung in front of a tavern- don't you love the pewter steins?
Being from the North, our family was especially enamored with the magnolia leaves- they're so shiny!This one incorporated all sorts of dried flowers and plants:
Can you guess what door these hung on?
The music shop, of course!
Clearly, this was one of my favorites!
I also have to draw your attention to the dried oranges... aren't they snazzy with the slits up the sides?
I never would have thought of it, but there were quite a few red peppers woven into some wreaths.
Another popular item were the lady apples... they're so precious!
I really liked this square one, especially with all the sprigs of lavender!
Could you tell that this wreath hung in front of the tailor's shop?
I think the fabric fruit was probably a giveaway!
I thought it was especially appropriate that the wigmaker's wreath Incorporated ostrich feathers... fancy!
And I bet you've never seen moss and lichen look so pretty!
Don't you love that texture? And the different shades of green were so lovely!
I could have taken photos of wreaths all day...They were all so unique and interesting!
Wouldn't it have been fun to create those decorations every year?
I can't think of anything better! (Oh- and see the clam shells in this one?)
Each of the wreaths were wonderful, but together they make quite a masterpiece!
Thank you for visiting my blog- I hope you're having a wonderful Wednesday!