Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Chicken in the Van

This week, I made one of my favorite casseroles for a family get together: Chicken Divan!
But we never called it that when I was a kid... my cousins, brother and I always referred to it as "Chicken in the Van". I love this recipe for a number of reasons: it's easy to make, it tastes delicious, and reminds me of home! I started off with some frozen chicken breasts and my mom's soup pot.
I then proceeded to boil the chicken until it was cooked.
When the chicken was finished, I assembled my ingredients. (NOTE: I was making a triple batch of this recipe, which should explain the quantity of ingredients piled below!)
One of my first tasks was to dice the chicken.
Eventually, I had everything squared away!
Then it was on to the sauce ingredients:
After that, my mom offered to stir so I could take pictures- isn't she great?
After a little while, the sauce was combined.
Into that went the chicken...
And frozen broccoli!
After a good mixing (to make sure the broccoli and chicken were covered), I spooned the casserole into oven-safe dishes.
Meanwhile, my brother grated some cheddar cheese for me.
I added a generous layer of cheese to the casserole, topped by a sprinkling of crushed-crackers.
While the casserole was cooking in the oven, I made some white rice.
When the casserole came out of the oven, the cheese was bubbling and it smelled incredible!
So I quickly spooned some casserole over the rice- talk about scrumptious!
If you want to make your OWN Chicken in the Van, here's the recipe:
Chicken Divan
3 chicken breasts, boiled
2 pkgs of frozen broccoli (10 oz. each)
2 cans Cream of Chicken soup
1 cup mayonnaise
1 tbs. curry powder
1 tbs. lemon juice
Topping (grated cheddar cheese and crumbled crackers)
Directions: Mix liquid ingredients together in large bowl, before adding chicken and broccoli. When everything is combined, add mixture to greased casserole dish. Sprinkle cheese and crackers over top. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes.
Thanks for stopping by- I hope you have a wonderful Tuesday!