Subway Haiku
Foot long for five bucks
Lettuce, tomato, turkey
Sandwich perfection.
It's no secret that I like sandwiches. From Jersey Giants in Lansing, Potbelly's in Evanston, and Subway in Dallas (it was just down the sidewalk from the scrapbook store), I'm a sucker for turkey sandwiches. In NYC there are a plethora of restaurants to choose from... and yet when it came to lunch, I usually just grabbed a quick sandwich. Although you can find a bodega/deli on every other corner, I was drawn to a Subway 2 blocks from my office. Not only was the price "right", but it also allowed me to feed my Self-serve Fountain Soda/Diet Coke addiction (you see, with a self-serve machine you can add ALL the ice you want... but that's a post for another day). I frequented this establishment on such a regular basis, that
every one of the 12 employees there knew exactly what sandwich I ordered, including bread choice, condiments, etc. A few weeks ago, I decided I was in a rut, and made a vow to take a month off from Subway. You'd think that four weeks would be ample time to break an addiction. I mean, it's not like Subway is a gourmet haven- quite the contrary in fact. But man, have I been missing my fix. So today, I decided it was OK to go back. The minute I walked in the door, everyone behind the counter started shouting "where have you been", "we missed you", "welcome back"... Not only did they all remember exactly what I wanted, they made sure to let me know that my absence had been noticed. I know it sounds silly, but in a city this big, little things like that just crack me up! :)