Friday, April 24, 2009

Mmm mmm good!

There are plenty of times when living in Astoria isn't all it's cracked up to be. While I have to contend with the commute and crazy train schedules sometimes (February weekends were ROUGH), there are lots of pros that MORE than make up for the cons. For example, a new store opened this weekend, just a couple doors down from the subway stairs in my neighborhood. It's a 24-hour organic grocer, and the prices can't be beat. I stopped by last night, and got all of this for under $5!
If you're reading this in MI, I guess that price isn't going to sound so outstanding... but for my NYC following, what a deal, right? With all this yummy food, I decided to make a salad for dinner. This is what I started with:
I thought the onion looked especially cool:
Doesn't this look delicious and colorful?
I needed a closer look... YUM!
After that, I whipped up a quick blackberry cobbler. I saw the recipe earlier in the day on Pioneer Woman, and when all those blackberries above cost $2, I had to give it a try! First, I washed those pretty berries...
Then I mixed up some self rising flour and sugar.
After adding some butter and milk, I put it in a baking dish. Then I added those amazing blackberries, and sprinkled more sugar on top of the dish.
While it baked for an hour, I watched "The Office" and "Thirty Rock"... both were HILARIOUS! Can I just say I'm glad that Michael and Pam are back at Dunder Mifflin? Also, how funny was 30 Rock with all the Slanket references? (Clearly they were referring to the SNUGGIE!) After an hour, I went and got this out of the oven...

Not too bad. Admittedly, it looks NOTHING like the dessert that Pioneer Woman made, because her berries still poked through the surface. Maybe my self-rising flour was extra potent? But inside it was pretty- and YUMMY!
It had more of a cake-y texture, which wasn't what I was expecting, but was still really good! I think I'll have to make one more before I'm ready to make it for others... but this was a good start! Now I just have a work day to get through before the WEEKEND! We're supposed to have AMAZING weather here all weekend- with a high of 86 on Sunday! I plan on enjoying every last drop of my two days off... I hope you have a great weekend as well!