Friday, December 17, 2010
Yes, Virginia: Macy's 2010
As I was saying yesterday, the Macy's store on 34th Street has some of the best window displays in NYC. And while their 34th street windows remain constant, the display on Broadway changes every year.
This year the windows are especially cool: here's a note that was etched on the first window explaining why!
As you just read, this year the windows tell an updated version of the "Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Clause" editorial. And this year not only do the windows move...
But there's also an audio story that plays along with each window.
Oh- and each window opens for only a few minutes at a time. The wait for the window to open certainly adds a bit of drama to the story (and I suspect it all helps with crowd control).
The second window of the story was my favorite.... it opened like a pop-up book...
To reveal a beautiful winter tableau...
Complete with decorated tree- all crafted from paper! Talk about amazing!!
The next window took place at the NY Public library (you can tell by the tell-tale lion).
Aren't all the small details amazing?
And a few moments later, several books appeared in the window, with changing LCD photos depicting Santa Clause around the world!
(And while those were pretty cool, I was totally taken with that paper lion... I mean, come on!)
I really liked how the artists used video screens to illustrate the story, as this pane did with Virginia's letter about Santa.
Also, I love those paper cobblestones!
And when Santa finally arrives in the final window, it's pretty exciting! (Although I sure wish Sovereign Bank would turn off their sign- it ruins pictures!)
Thanks for joining me on this little tour of Macy's Christmas windows!
Thanks for visiting- I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

