Thursday, December 2, 2010
Detroit: People Mover
When we were visiting my brother in Detroit this weekend, we decided to take a ride on the Detroit People Mover.
The People Mover is a 2.9-mile automated train system which operates on a single set of tracks, and encircles downtown Detroit... it's like the Monorail of the Midwest! For just 50 cents, you can travel to any of the 13 stations- or you can simply ride it in a circle for a 22 minute tour of the third most dangerous city in America.
Believe it or not, throughout the 18 years I lived in Michigan I never had a chance to ride the People Mover, so I was pretty excited to finally get a turn! So after a yummy lunch, our family headed to the station across the street from my brother's building, where we climbed the stairs to the platform to wait for the train. When we got to the top, we were greeted by this bronze commuter- he was very lifelike!
While we were all looking forward to the ride, I think P was the most excited of all- talk about an adventure!
After waiting just a few minutes, we spotted the train coming around the bend.
When it arrived we boarded it, and (unlike in NYC) I followed the rule about not leaning against the doors!
After we all boarded the train, the fun really started!
We had fun taking photos (that's my Aunt T)...
And watching the city breeze by outside the train!
As we traveled throughout the city, we enjoyed the various mosaics at several stations...
Major Detroit landmarks (like the Joe Louis Arena)...
Detroit bus station (with it's recognizable architecture)...
And even Windsor (that's CANADA across the water)!
I had a blast hanging out with my family on the train...
Even if I was being such a dork that Uncle D preferred to sit on the other end of the car from me!
Oh, and P was a trooper the whole ride...
Especially when his momma blew my mind by knowing all the train stops "from memory"! (I had unknowingly stood in front of this map without seeing it, so when my cousin kept knowing the name of the next station before we got there I was completely impressed and couldn't for the life of my figure out how she knew all the stops along the way!)
But before we knew it...
We were back where we started and my inaugural ride was over!
Suffice it to say, my first ride on the Detroit People mover was a rousing success- and I can only hope P felt the same way about his first ride!
Thanks for stopping by- I hope you have a great day!

