Monday, December 27, 2010

Re-Gifted Cookies

According to Wikipedia, "regifting" is the act of taking a gift that has been received and giving it to somebody else. This technique is often portrayed negatively, but I think certain kinds of re-gifting are great... let me show you what I mean: I received a container of chocolate covered almonds...
But since I don't particularly love them, I wanted to pass them along to someone who might. However, I didn't just want to give the candies as I received them, so I turned them into this:
Yep- I turned those candies into what I'm calling Re-Gifted Cookies. Here's what it took:
After adding all the traditional cookie ingredients into my mixer...
I started adding the chocolate covered almonds. I decided not to put them in whole...
So I gave them a rough chop before adding them to the batter.
Once everything was combined, I used a cookie scoop to plop the dough onto a cookie sheet.
I wanted the cookies to spread a bit, so I used my palm to flatten the dough into little mounds before I popped them into the oven.
And after 14 minutes at 350 degrees (where I rotated the cookie sheet about halfway through)...
I pulled these lovely cookies from the oven!
I hadn't made this recipe before, and I was happily surprised at how well they turned out! They were hearty and rich- talk about tasty!
Re-Gifted Cookies

Ingredients:

1 cup Butter
¾ cups
½ cups Packed Brown Sugar
2 Eggs
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
2 cups Oats (I used the traditional, not quick oats)
2 cups Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
½ teaspoons Salt
2 cups Chocolate Chips (I used mini chips)
1 cup Chocolate covered Almonds (appr. 6 oz.), roughly chopped

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, and vanilla. Keep mixing until smooth. Add oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt until mixed. Stir in the chocolate chips and chopped chocolate covered almonds. Drop dough onto a cookie sheet, leaving 1 inch space between (I used a dough scoop to make large cookies). Slightly flatten dough balls with the palm of your hand. Bake until slightly brown around edges, approximately 14 minutes, making sure to rotate the pan halfway through. Cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight container.
To make my re-gift complete, I picked up some boxes from The Container Store...
Filled them with individually wrapped cookies (thank goodness for Saran Wrap)...
And boxed them up for a couple of friends.
See? Sometimes re-gifting can be a really good thing! Thanks for stopping by- I hope you have a great day!