Monday, December 20, 2010

Oranges and cloves: the perfect combination

This weekend I finally got around to making my Christmas centerpiece! Want to see what I made?
I gathered together a few items and got to work. I used a red cake plate, oranges, nuts, pine boughs and cloves.
Luckily, my local grocer sells these jars of cloves for a couple of bucks- which is good because this project uses up quite a few of them!
I dumped some cloves in a bowl, because this project requires whole cloves, which means you sometimes have to pick through a few broken ones.
The technique is simple (my mom even taught me how to do this when I was a kid): just insert a clove into the rind of the orange. Not only does it smell AMAZING, but after doing it a few more times...
You can make a nifty design!
I must admit: I often plan on making a straight line, but since I never draw it onto the fruit I often end up with some pretty imaginative designs!
But I couldn't stop at one! So I stuck a Christmas movie into my DVD player and got to work on the rest. After a while I had finished and was left with this motley crew of adorned citrus!
Since the fruits were finished, I could get on with the centerpiece! So I cut down some pine boughs and placed them on my cake plate.
I then arranged the oranges on top, and filled in the rest with a heaping scoop of mixed nuts!
I was pretty pleased with my centerpiece! And since all of the items were extremely affordable, I spent about $5.00 on the whole thing (my grocer sold 10 oranges for $2.00, the nuts were just under $2.00 and I got the boughs from the local Christmas tree seller on the corner for free, but I gave him $1.00 as a tip).
Not too bad, right? Oh- and as an added bonus, my whole place smells like oranges and cloves, which is just about perfect this time of year!
So now that I've crossed another item off my Christmas to-do list (centerpiece: CHECK), I'm feeling much better about the impending holiday!
Less than a week until Christmas- I can't wait! I hope you had a wonderful weekend and thank you for stopping by!