A collaboration first conceived of with the artist's mother, the installation
consists of the complete contents of her home, amassed over fifty years during
which the Chinese concept of wu jin qi yong, or "waste not," was a prerequisite
for survival. The assembled materials, ranging from pots and basins to blankets,
oil flasks, and legless dolls, form a miniature cityscape that viewers can
navigate around and through.
Isn't that interesting? Everything was organized so cleverly!
As we walked around, I had SUCH a blast taking photos! Unfortunately, I can't remember the names of most of these...
Some are really interesting...
Some were more graphic...
While others were more whimsical. Do you know why I like this one?
Because I'm pretty sure I had those EXACT stickers when I was a kid!
This piece was one of my favorites in the whole museum! I love birch trees, but this had an extra element that drew my attention.
If I get a little closer, can you see it?
This collage piece uses pieces of sheet music to create the birch bark!
I was in love with this piece... I must have stood in that room for AGES just looking and imagining how great it would look hanging in my house someday! A totally reasonable idea, right?
Check out this one- all those lines are simply drawn with colored pencils- isn't that cool? So simple, yet so pretty!
As I wandered around I was amazed at the size of some of the pieces- this one was SO tall!
This one stretched across the whole room... can you tell what's in the little black lines? Those are pictures of eyeballs. I was interested in the couple in the corner of the room, because they were trying to take such a nice picture with their baby in a room that was a little creepy for my taste!
People were really interested in this one- there's a reason the lady in the corner of the photo is taking a close up...
That whole piece was made of cigarettes.
I don't remember who painted this one, but it's title had something about a chef cooking, and I just thought it looked like Amy Adams in that new move Julie & Julia.
This next piece needs a little more explanation.
As the MoMA website describes:
Viewers play a vital role in the creation of Measuring the Universe (2007), by
Slovakian artist Roman Ondák (b. 1966). Over the course of the exhibition,
attendants mark Museum visitors' heights, first names, and date of the
measurement on the gallery walls. Beginning as an empty white space, over time
the gallery gradually accumulates the traces of thousands of people. The
inclusion of viewers in the process of art making has a long tradition in the
history of performance-based art. By inviting people to actively participate,
artists attempt to overcome traditional divisions between art objects and
spectators, and production and reception. Measuring the Universe turns the
domestic custom of recording children’s heights on door frames into a public
event, referring through its title to humankind’s age-old desire to gauge the
scale of the world. The process creates a work of art with a multitude of
participants, merging art with everyday life in a confluence that is at the very
center of Ondák’s artistic practice.
Wow, right?
All the way around the room, the names are this thick:
I thought this collection of photos was pretty cool.
One of the exhibits highlighted design in functional objects. From a jeep to a bicycle, there were all sorts of diverse items in this section. Take, for instance, the first butterfly chair. I bet you didn't know that this was created in 1938! Nowadays, these chairs can be found in ANY college dorm room in America!
But it doesn't get more exciting than finding a Slinky and Legos in a museum... I was so happy!
Believe it or not, these photos only show our exploration of the first three floors of the museum- please stop by tomorrow for some more modern art!
Thanks for visiting my blog- I hope you had a great weekend!

