Monday, August 17, 2009

High Line fun

Have you heard of the High Line? The elevated rail line was built in the 1930's, and it lifted freight traffic 30 feet in the air, removing dangerous trains from the streets of Manhattan's largest industrial district on the west side. As freight trucks started to replace rail cars, the High Line saw it's last cargo load in 1980. For 25 years, the tracks were left to erode and decay. But thanks to some creative New Yorkers, the High Line is the newest green space in town. See what I mean? Believe it or not, the elevated tracks are being turned into a floating park... and it's beautiful! So far, the southern-most section of the track has been completed- from Gansevort Street north to 20th Street. On Friday, I decided to walk the High Line, and I started at the Gansevort entrance.
How beautiful is the plant life? It's hard to believe that the park was completed in June of this year! And since the park is elevated, there are some incredible views of the surrounding buildings.
I absolutely LOVE the way the architects/designers maintained some of the original tracks... it's a really great reminder of what the park used to be! Plus, the landscape architects chose 'native' grasses and plants, which look so natural!
Since the High Line runs along 10th Avenue, there are some great views on the Hudson River.
Although there are benches all along the High Line, my favorite spot was the chaise lounge section... I eventually found a free spot and hung out for a while!
Some parts of the walking path get pretty narrow, and there are large swaths of garden everywhere you look. Plus, how cool is the transition to the garden beds? I love how it mimics the 'track' theme.
There's a spot (around 17th Street, I think) that looks like a little amphitheater- but instead of a stage, you get an incredible view of 10th Avenue... from the glass wall it feels like you're floating over the traffic!
Look- you can see the golfing area at Chelsea Piers! Also, I think Black-Eyed Susans are one of my favorite flowers- I just love that punch of color!
There was an artist painting his view from the path... wouldn't that be a fun way to spend an afternoon?
Look- the Goodyear Blimp! (Please tell me you can spot it through the smog!)
These little markers were all over- and I hope they work...Because check out the amazing plants along the path:
Unfortunately, I made it to 20th Street, which was the end of the path... but only for now!
The High Line is only partially finished- eventually it will run all the way to 34th Street, to the Javits Convention Center.

And as if I hadn't already had a wonderful afternoon, SFS and I spent the evening roaming around Chelsea. First, we grabbed some dinner at La Bottega on the outdoor patio. SFS had the Prosciutto Pizza... While I went with the Quattro Stagioni.
SFS also introduced me to the cutest bakery- Billy's Bakery! From the tin ceilings to the pastel Formica tables... I was in love! I chose a yummy vanilla cupcake...
And SFS got a red velvet treat. Also, don't you LOVE how they do the frosting? While we were there, a worker was frosting a tray of cupcakes, and I stared like a crazy person, trying to figure out how I could emulate it someday! (Also, if you have a second, please click on the link to Billy's website so you can see the SUPER CUTE single cupcake carriers they use.)
As we window shopped, we happened upon a place I've been trying to visit for months. They're super famous for this:
Yep, that's a homemade marshmallow... a BASIL MARSHMALLOW! I had read about Three Tarts last winter, so I was thrilled that it was open when SFS and I stumbled in. Along with specialty gifts and an amazing array of mini-desserts, Three Tarts makes the most incredible marshmallows... but with very interesting flavors! I had heard SO much about the basil, I had to try it. SFS went above and beyond, and tried the Basil/Strawberry.
I know what you're thinking- but let me tell you, these were some of the yummiest marshmallows I've ever tried! Who knew that a savory/sweet marshmallow would taste so yummy?

As you can tell, my afternoon in Chelsea was so much fun- and not just because I got 2 desserts! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog- I hope you had a wonderful weekend!