Thursday, August 27, 2009

Rambling along South Street

After a visit to the Seaport, SFS and I took a some time to explore South Street and the surrounding neighborhood. I love all the buildings down there- if I could convince myself that the neighborhood is just as lovely after dark, I would move in a heartbeat!
One of the places we came across was Pasanella and Son. Now, when I saw the store, I must admit I was SUPER stoked. I am by NO MEANS a wine connoisseur (quite the opposite actually), but the name Pasanella was immediately familiar.
In September 2008, Martha Stewart profiled an amazing loft in Manhattan. A husband and wife had turned a shipbuilder's warehouse into a home above the family's wine importing company. They had made some really interesting choices, and I remember looking at the pictures in the magazine A LOT. So when we walked past the store, I got so excited and tried to explain to SFS that I'd seen the apartment ABOVE the store in a magazine a year ago. He knows me pretty well, so the little (admittedly crazy) outburst didn't faze him and we ducked into the shop.
Don't you love it? From the details in the tile on the floor, to the exposed brick and fireplaces, I am in love with this store. To my great relief, Pasanella's has a table in the back with $15 and under bottles... I might have taken one home with me. Plus, how much do you love the car?
After Pasanella's, it was onto Beekman Street.
We stopped into Provisions, which sold all sorts of organic and local goodies. They also had 16 different kinds of olive oil for sale- and if you brought your OWN bottles, they'd fill them up and charge you less for the oil.
Back on South Street, we checked out the Fulton Stall Market. Fulton Fish Market used to be THE place where seafood came into NYC- but it was closed a couple years ago. The building has since been turned into a museum, and the stalls on the outside of the building have been turned into a little market. We stopped at the organic farm stand first.
I loved the peach that still had a leaf attached!
And wouldn't the tri-colored carrots look beautiful after roasting?
And in keeping with NYC tradition, there was also a cupcake stall. This guy was selling Cupcake Express- he delivers these cupcakes to companies for the LOW cost of $45/dozen... yowza!
Mmmm.... the bakery stall smelled SO good!
And as SFS pointed out, the half pies are the best- they're just so funny looking!
Walking around the Seaport was SO much fun- and the buildings/architectural elements were so interesting!
But this one made us stop and think... do you see what I'm talking about?
Yeah- not the most effective fire escape, right?
Thanks for stopping by my blog- hope you're having a wonderful Thursday!