Thursday, August 6, 2009

I miss Meijer

I know, I know... I live in a very fun city where I have all sorts of amazing stores at my fingertips... but I don't have a Meijer*! If you're not from the Midwest, Meijer is a chain of grocery stores that started in Michigan (the Wikipedia entry will tell you more)... and they sell everything you could possibly think of. When I first moved out of state, I sometimes wouldn't know where to buy things, because at home I could always find them at Meijer! And just to prove that I'm not the only one who loves this place, let me share a little story with you.

Last weekend, when SFS and I were at the GreenMarket, we ran into a coworker of his. I had a Meijer bag for schlepping goodies (admittedly SFS was carrying it for me), and she asked if I was from the Midwest. It turns out that she and her husband were also from MI, and we had a lovely little chat about the splendor of Meijer and Faygo. (Yeah, you can't get that here, either!)

So when I was in MI a couple weeks ago, I took a quick trip to Meijer... and of course I took some pictures. (NOTE: I'm pretty used to taking pictures all over the place... but pictures at the grocery store was a new one for me!)

Here is the "Back to School" section... I love this time of year, and had to refrain myself from buying new pencils and notebooks!
Meijer also has a clothing department (though why I decided to take a picture in the 'Boys' department, I have no idea).
If you're looking for pet food, pet accessories... or just a PET, you can find it at Meijer!
When I was a kid, Meijer sold their goldfish for a penny each! Oddly, that was also how much it cost to ride Sandy, the mechanical horse at the checkout...

Here's the area where you can pick up canning supplies and other items for your kitchen.But Meijer also carries food... here's the bakery, and you can see the wine area, with the meat section along the wall.
I'm sorry, but these tent models were TOO cute for words!
This aisle is just for flashlights and door looks... I kid you not...
And they have a whole section for lures.
And should you need milk, I think Meijer has you covered!
If you aren't sold yet, how about this? When you get to the check out, you can purchase (for 60 cents, I think) a cup for pop. You just fill it up at the soda fountain (which is by the checkout), and put it in the cup holders on the shopping cart. In channeling Rachel Zoe- that's bananas!
Is it obvious that I love this place? If you're ever in the Midwest and you need a grocery store, may I please recommend a quick trip to Meijer? You won't be sorry!

And just because it's a grey day here in NYC, I wanted to post a couple more random photos that make me happy (and make me miss MI)...
BIG BOY!
I hope you have a wonderful Thursday!

*When did it go from Meijer's to just plain, old Meijer? Did I miss something? Or do people just call it Meijer's? And by people... I mean me...