Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Dilly Casserole Bread

The other day, I made Dilly Casserole Bread.
Odd name, right? I thought so too... but I like dill... and I like casseroles... so I decided to give this recipe a whirl! Here's what I used:
If you can believe it, this recipe calls for cottage cheese! So I heated some up in the microwave...
Before mixing with the rest of the ingredients.
When everything was incorporated, I added the flour a bit at a time...
Until everything was combined.
Then I covered the bowl with plastic wrap and set it in a warm place to rise for about an hour.
After the rest, I stirred the batter a few times...
Before turning into a greased casserole dish.
After another little rest in a warm spot (this time for only 45 minutes), this baby was ready for the oven!
And just 40 minutes later, I pulled out this lovely loaf!
And to make things even better, I immediately brushed the top of the piping hot loaf with melted butter and sprinkled it with a dash of kosher salt.
Talk about a pretty little loaf of bread!
Oh- and did I mention delicious? The dill lends a a surprising taste to this hearty loaf!
If you'd like to make this bread for yourself, here's the recipe:
Dilly Casserole Bread

Ingredients:
1 cup cottage cheese
2 tbsp sugar
1 tablespoon onion flakes
1 tbsp dillweed
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 eggs
1 pkg dry yeast
2 1/2 cups bread flour
1/2 tsp butter, melted
dash of salt

Directions:
Heat cottage cheese until warm to the touch, and mix ingredients together. Add flour until stiff batter is formed. Cover dough with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place for 1 hour. Stir batter briefly and pour into greased casserole dish. Cover in wax paper and allow to rise for 45 minutes. Bake at 450 degrees for 40-45 minutes, covering with foil for the last 15 minutes to prevent burning. Remove the bread from the oven, and immediately brush with butter and sprinkle salt over crust. Remove the loaf from the casserole dish after 10 minutes.
While the bread is delicious as is... might I suggest toasting it and coating with a little butter?
Absolutely scrumptious! I hope you have a great day- thank you for visiting!