Thursday, October 29, 2009

Tasty Tomato Soup

I don't know about you, but I think fall is the best time of year to enjoy a steaming bowl of soup. I decided to try and come up with a Roasted Tomato Soup without using a recipe. Here's what I started with:
I decided to snip up some basil...
And I blended it with olive oil.
Then I rough chopped the tomatoes, onion, and garlic cloves before tossing them in the basil oil. I added a little salt and pepper to taste before throwing them into the oven at 350 degrees.
While they were roasting, I grabbed some stale bread I had lying about. (Please don't think that I have stale bread in the house all time... but I thought it might come in handy for this!)
After cubing the bread, I tossed it with some basil oil and Parmesan cheese before throwing the pan in the oven.
After they were sufficiently roasted, I decided to use my handy-dandy immersion blender to puree the tomatoes, onion, and garlic.
I added a little chicken broth for flavor, too!
Eventually the croutons were finished, and I started 'plating'. (If you can't tell, sometimes I get caught up in Top Chef terms... it's very nerdy, I know!)
Here's the finished product- I bet you've never seen orange tomato soup! From now on, I'll try to not use yellow and red tomatoes at the same time!
But here's where it gets really good- add couple leaves of basil and a few croutons, and you have one scrumptious bowl of soup!
Thank you for visiting my blog- I hope you're having a wonderful Thursday!