After you're seated by a lovely hostess with cowboy boots and a UT t-shirt, you walk up to the meat counter where you order your BBQ by the POUND! Next to that is the side bar, where you can choose from a HUGE selection of hot and cold dishes.
On the other side of the room, you can pick up a drink. Although the sodas come in bottles, the sweet tea and lemonade is served in a mason jar! (By the way- I love the fake pantry behind the bar, don't you?)
But it gets better... check out what we got to eat:
I'm not sure if you can tell, but we ordered lean brisket (that was for me), and pork and beef ribs (those were SFS'). He really enjoyed the ribs, see?
And to compliment the meat, we ordered some sodas. Check it out- they import the Big Red from Texas... no kidding!
Here's our complete meal. We got green bean casserole and potato salad on the side- and they were both DELISH! Plus, do you see the slices of Texas toast that they throw in with the meat? Too funny!
It took a while, but we made quite a dent in the food.
We were so full, we didn't have room for the Blue Bell ice cream. (Which is also imported from Texas- isn't that amazing?)
So if you're ever in NYC and feel a little lonesome for the Lone Star State, a quick trip to Hill Country BBQ will certainly do the trick! Thanks for stopping by- I hope you had a great weekend!
Monday, October 19, 2009
Bring on the BBQ
After an afternoon of traipsing around the city, SFS had a brilliant idea on Saturday. We made our way to 26th Street and 6th Avenue, for a little Hill Country Barbecue.
If you've never been, it's a NYC version of a Texas BBQ joint. I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but I used to live in Texas. Although it was a quick stay (two years during grad school), there were some things that really made an impact. And one of those things, was BBQ brisket. So when we walked into the restaurant, it reminded me of a fancy version of Rudy's...

