Monday, October 12, 2009

Fun at the farm

It is no secret that I love Fall. To celebrate the season, SFS and I embarked on an adventure of epic proportions. On Saturday, we road three subway lines and a bus in order to get to our destination. The Queens County Farm Museum is quite a place. It dates back to 1697, and occupies New York City's largest remaining tract of undisturbed farmland; plus, it is the only working historical farm in the city. The farm encompasses a 47-acre parcel that is the longest continuously farmed site in New York State.
Can you believe it? This little gem is smack dab in the middle of a Queens neighborhood.
When SFS and I arrived, we headed to the back of the farm, where we found what we came for:
Oh my goodness- I was so excited to see all those pumpkins. Unless you buy them from a grocery store or market, there aren't really any places in the city that recreate the "pumpkin patch" field trips of my childhood. I think SFS was a little excited, too!
Okay... but definitely not as excited as me! (And yes... apparently I like to pose for the camera...)
SFS and I each went hunting for the perfect pumpkin...
There were so many to choose from!
Eventually SFS found his- he was pretty thrilled about it...
And I found mine a few minutes later.
After the pumpkin patch, SFS and I wandered around the farm for a bit. We checked out the corn field...
(This isn't exactly appetizing... but I think the picture is kind of cool!)
Guess what we found next to the corn field?
Don't worry- I didn't pick any... but I really wanted to!
While we wandered, we enjoyed a glass of hot cider... I didn't think the day could get any better!
But you know what? I was wrong! SFS and I bought a ticket and jumped in line... For a HAYRIDE!
How fun is that?
We drove around the property...
Where we got to see different parts of the farm.
We had such a fun day- I'm now officially ready for Fall!
As you can imagine, these aren't the only pictures I took... I hope you have a chance to stop by tomorrow to check out more! Thanks for visiting my blog- I hope you had a great weekend!