Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Soup for supper!

I don't know about you, but soup is the perfect dinner on a chilly fall evening. With that in mind, here's what I made last night:
I started with chicken bouillon, which I boiled in a large pot.
As the bouillon boiled, I chopped up 3 bunches of fresh broccoli florets.
I dumped them into the bouillon, put on the lid, and lowered the heat to simmering.
Meanwhile, on a burner to the left, I melted some butter and added a some diced vidalia onion. I also tossed in a pinch of salt and pepper.
When the onions were translucent and the broccoli was soft, I plugged in my immersion blender.
After adding the onions to the broccoli, I started blending.
Didn't it look good? But it still wasn't quite done...
I added a little half and half and flour, which thickened the soup and added the right amount of creaminess!
And here was the finished product... how can something so easy taste SO good?

Cream of Broccoli Soup
6 bunches of broccoli
8 cups of chicken bouillon
1 vidalia onion, diced
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
2 cup half and half
NOTE: Since I can only eat so much soup in a week, I halved the recipe in the photos above.