Monday, October 26, 2009

Grand Central Terminal

On Saturday, SFS and I decided to get away from the city. In order to do so, we had to take a train from Grand Central Terminal.
Have you ever been there? I had lived in NYC for over a year before I ever visited, which is pretty ridiculous, if I do say so myself. Grand Central is quite a hub, servicing all areas of upstate NY, Long Island, parts of Connecticut, and more. Its pretty spectacular, and features a mural of constellations on the ceiling.
The information booth is located under the clock in the middle of the room. I just love that clock! Oh yeah- do you spot anyone familiar checking out the train schedules?
Looks like SFS picked up a timetable for our train...
And after studying it, he figured out that we had a few minutes to kill before we had to get to our track. I was thrilled, because it meant we could hit the market!
There are lots of shopping opportunities in Grand Central- from Papyrus and L'Occitane, to Kenneth Cole and M.A.C. But our favorite place to stop is the Grand Central Market. It's this amazing cooperation of gourmet food retailers, and the entrance to the market is adorned by this intense chandelier:
Murray's Real Salami only sells cured meat. Every time we visit, SFS contemplates buying a leg of pork. His sister bought him this really cool contraption that holds the leg for display and carving when she was in Europe last year, and he's dying to use it! But since we had a train ride ahead of us, he just looked at the pork... maybe next time he'll buy one!
Across the way is a vegetable stand. Their produce is very pretty, even if it employs an obscene amount of packaging!
The baby Brussels sprouts looked particularly scrumptious!
Next to that was another meat counter... but this butcher only sells premium aged beef.
Across from that was a cute little bakery- I loved all the Halloween-themed treats!
All the fresh fish is at the other end of the market...
So SFS had some fun 'fishing' before we caught our train.
As you can tell, we had a good time checking out Grand Central while we waited for our train. Stop back tomorrow to find out where we went... can you stand all that suspense? I hope you had a wonderful weekend!