Friday, May 15, 2009

Gardening - NYC style!

Do you ever look at your personal traits/talents and try to figure out who you inherited them from? We play that game in my family all the time- I think I got a lot of nice qualities from both sides... but one thing I didn't get was a Green Thumb! Seriously- it's so unfair! My grandparents and parents both have beautiful gardens (not to mention countless other family members)... but when it come to plants, I have terrible luck.

I can remember buying a house plant at Ikea when I lived in Evanston- it was one of those 'maize' plants or something; it was supposed to be totally indestructible- the store had them growing in the basement! Within a week of living in my dorm room, it was starting to turn yellow, and a few days later it was officially dead.

Last summer, I tried to grow a pot of lavender (because it reminded me of the lavender fields in Avignon). When I bought it it was healthy, purple, and smelled delicious... and not two weeks later it was a shriveled little crisp!

But since when has a little setback (or twenty) stopped me?

So this summer, I'm going to try again... for REAL! I bought a few herbs at the GreenMarket last weekend:
I invested in the planter you see above. I didn't have the heart to fill it with fancy dirt, so I started with a good base of "backyard" dirt (don't worry- I was SO careful not to include any worms or rolly-pollys... I don't want THOSE in my apartment) and added a bag of potting soil to the top.

I haven't made cute little herb markers (those are on my to-do list, I promise), so let me show you what I'm growing....

First is the basil:Next is the rosemary:
And finally the chives. (Note: I picked chives because they're yummy, but also because I remember them TOTALLY taking over my parents' herb garden growing up... I figured they might be hardy enough to survive under my care!)
So there you have it- my garden! If they survive, I look forward to sharing more photos of their growth... and if I'm really lucky, maybe I'll be able to cook with them! But shhhhhh- don't tell them that!
I hope you have a WONDERFUL weekend!