Friday, May 1, 2009

Fighting: The Movie

Have you seen Fighting yet?

It opened a week or two ago, and I went to see it with a couple girlfriends on Monday night. I'm sure you're thinking: why would a bunch of girls go see a movie with scenes like this?

To tell you the truth, I don't know. I mean, I do know, but it's kind of a silly story! You see, my friend JG and I used to work together at the music agency. For a while, JG had a little crush on Channing Tatum. (If you've seen She's the Man or Step Up, you can imagine why.) One day at work, JG found out that Channing was filming a new film in NYC... and they were shooting a couple blocks from our office. On a whim, we decided to head over to the location on our lunch break to see if anything was still happening. Now I must admit- there's a lot of filming done in NYC, but I had never made a conscious decision to go and watch it... I usually just stumbled upon it while trying to get to work, etc. So imagine my surprise when we showed up and were able to stand across the street and watch this:


Do you see that guy in the white t-shirt and jeans in the middle of the photos above? That's Channing... we were standing about 20 feet away from him as he filmed a scene on the street. We were taking these pics with our phones as JG hyperventilated... it was a fun afternoon!

But all that went down AGES ago- like September 2007. So when the movie was FINALLY released, we knew we'd have to check it out. To be honest, it wasn't the BEST thing I've seen in a theater- but it wasn't awful! The fight scenes were a little intense (I closed my eyes a lot), but as it is with most NYC films, it's fun trying to figure out where each scene takes place.

And no, they didn't cut the scene that we saw on that fateful September day. Although it was brief, the scene was there- you could DEFINITELY spot the "West Side Socks LTD" awning. (Can we just take a moment and chuckle over the fact that the store is located between Park and Madison? Not exactly on the west side...) If you end up seeing the movie, the scene we watched was the scene in the movie where "Sean" buys umbrellas... you'll know it when you see it! :)

And on that note, I hope you have a wonderful weekend! TGIF!