One of the things I like to do when I stay at my parents house is raid their garden. So when my mom suggested that I bake some Rhubarb Crisp for my dad, I was happy to oblige.
First, I walked out to one of their gardens...
Located the rhubarb plant...
And proceeded to slice some stalks from the plant.
(Even though the end of the stalks look pink, this particular plant is a Green Rhubarb, so the majority of the stalks are green.)
I then brought the stalks inside, and after a thorough washing, I chopped them up into little pieces. (Doesn't this look like a bowl of chopped celery?)
Then I added some brown sugar...
And cinnamon to the rhubarb, giving it a quick stir.
In a separate bowl, I made the crisp "topping" by combining butter, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, and oatmeal with a pastry cutter.
After I stuffed a few ramekins with the rhubarb, I topped them with a generous helping of the crisp "topping".
Then I placed the ramekins on a baking sheet, and placed them in a pre-heated oven.
About half an hour later, I pulled these tasty dishes from the oven...
So my dad could help himself to individual portions of Rhubarb Crisp whenever he wanted it!
If you'd like to bake up this easy crisp, here's the recipe:
As you might suspect, Rhubarb Crisp is somewhat tart, so it's best served with ice cream or Greek yogurt (my dad's favorite).Rhubarb Crisp
Ingredients:Rhubarb mixture:Chopped rhubarb (enough to fill your desired baking dish)3/4 cup brown sugar1 Tbsp. cinnamonCrisp topping:1/2 cup brown sugar1/2 cup flour1/2 cup oats3/4 tsp. cinnamon3/4 tsp. nutmeg1/3 cup butter, softened
Directions:Clean and chop rhubarb, and mix with brown sugar and cinnamon. In a separate bowl, combine crisp topping with pastry cutter. Place rhubarb mixture in greased baking dish(es), and bake in pre-heated 375 degree oven for approximately 30 minutes, or until the rhubarb is tender and crisp is "bubbling". Serve with ice cream or Greek yogurt (my dad's preference).
Thanks for visiting- I hope you have a great weekend!

















