Wednesday, July 27, 2011

This makes me appreciate "takin' the train"

Remember those photos I teased you with last week? Well, let me show you where I took them...


That's right, I took them on the subway.


But not just any subway- rather, the Transit Museum!


Located in Brooklyn, the museum chronicles the histories of the various methods of transit in NYC.


Upon entry into the museum (which is actually a converted subway station itself), are artifacts and informational tidbits about the digging of the subway tunnels.


There were so many interesting factoids, including this sign of rate comparisons for the folks who worked in the tunnels.


A little later on in the museum...


There were displays about the various bridges throughout the city.


From my neighbor, the Queensboro Bridge...


(FYI: There are mini displays placed child-eye-level explaining the same information that's in the 'adult' display, which I think is a great way to incorporate kids.)


To the newly names Robert F. Kennedy Bridge (a.k.a. the Tri-Borough Bridge)...


There were lots of cool things to look at (like this 1936 Harlem Lift Bridge control panel).


One of the other things that I really enjoyed in the museum were the various turnstile/entrance displays.


From the current system of MetroCards...


To token machines...


And turnstiles...


Both recent versions...


And whole time-line of historical models.


A little ways further into the museum, there were even more cool things to see!


From buses...


To model trains and trolleys...


To an educational area (for class field trips)...


There was a whole lot to explore! There was even a bus that kids (and maybe a few grown-ups) could pretend to drive!


As you can tell, this museum is absolutely incredible... and I learned so much while I was there. But believe it or not, all of these photos only showed what was on the first level! So please feel free to visit tomorrow, as I'll have even more cool photos to share from the Transit Museum.

Thanks for stopping by- I hope you have a great day!